- Quarter the onions and slice thinly. Heat the oil in a soup pan. Add the onions and gently sauté for 5 minutes until translucent (do not brown). Add the garlic, the finely chopped chilli pepper and cumin.
- Add the coconut milk and 1 litre of cold water to the pan. Bring the soup to the boil, and add salt and pepper to taste. When the soup starts to boil, lower the heat and continue simmering gently.
- After 15 minutes, add the Tricolor Quinoa, peas and carrots. Continue simmering the soup for 12 minutes on low heat, until the Quinoa is tender.
- Add the chicken-style pieces and the jalapeño pepper 5 minutes before serving.
- Switch off the heat and stir in the coriander leaves just before serving. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Ladle the soup into 4 deep bowls, and serve with lime wedges and pea shoots if desired. Add some more liquid if necessary, to achieve the desired thickness.
Extra vegetarian tip: prepare the soup with vegetable stock instead of water, and add mushrooms along with the Tricolor Quinoa for an extra hearty soup.
Vegetable suggestion: add cubes of peeled sweet potato along with the Tricolor Quinoa.